Since addictions are complex processes, they need comprehensive care. For example, the rehab centers don’t just look at the addict’s health, they also check the environment in which the addict lives, and that triggers the actual problem. Along with the support of doctors and psychologists, addiction therapist is also an important part of the recovery program.
So, an addiction therapist is one of the professionals that you come into contact with while recovering at an addiction center. If you are looking for an excellent addiction therapist, you can find many professionals at TopRehabs.
What does the professional addiction therapist do?
The activities of an addiction therapist vary as per the case. They are in charge of planning and supervising addiction treatment, and it can be said that they are the ones who carry the mission of setting the guidelines for the whole process. In fact, they are the ones who recommend if an addict needs extra help from a doctor or a psychologist. In this sense, they are indispensable professionals to help in case of addictions. Here are some of the tasks that they carry out:
- They make a comprehensive evaluation of the addict. It is important to know the causes that trigger the addiction.
- This evaluation by addiction therapists includes a physical, that is, body health and psychological profile, i.e., there are certain personalities more prone to addictions than others.
- They conduct a study on the addict’s environment, and this study induces family, social environment, history, and childhood, among a few other things.
- They establish the degree of addiction, i.e., incipient, severe, serious, etc.
- They indicate how the treatment should be conducted.
- They watch that the treatment is carried out properly. Likewise, they can make changes to the treatment if they find that the expected results are not being achieved.
- They take steps to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- They provide the patient with tools so that he or she does not relapse into the addiction. They also help the patient get back to a normal life.
It is clear that the work of an addiction therapist involves knowledge and experience. Therefore, it is necessary to have a professional who can achieve this task correctly. In addition, caring for an addict is a delicate task that not just anyone can do.
As for the qualities, an addiction therapist should have comprehensive training. Thus, it is a university degree that one needs to complete as a training program and become a specialist addiction therapist. In addition, it happens that the ideal is that it is a person with the capacity for empathy. As a therapist, you need to put yourself in the place of the addict in order to help him. It is wrong to have a cold and different posture for the simple fact that the addict needs to feel confident. The patient needs to feel confident that his or her therapist really wants recovery, not that it is a mere business and distant deal.
The ideal is that the therapist has interpersonal skills. You have to remember that you don’t work alone; you actually lead a work team. Therefore, you must be able to interact with everyone to achieve the expected results.